Is spray painted UPVC pet friendly? Well, obviously not when it’s wet! But it certainly is when it’s dry.
Pets like to scratch things they can stick their claws into so the hard finish of painted UPVC is unlikely to tempt them into clawing. This means you can let your pet jump up onto the window ledge as normal. When fully dry, the solvent paint we use is harder than water-based paint and very durable. It can also be wiped clean.
During the UPVC spraying process all pets with four legs should be kept indoors and ideally they should be locked away in a room with food and water. This will ensure they can’t escape and jump up on or rub themselves against wet paint.
UPVC spray paint fully cures in 24-hours at a temperature of 10 °C to 20 °C. During this period the paint will have a soft finish. It is essential you keep pets away from wet paint until it is fully cured because your pet’s claws can damage the paint when soft.
My pet has walked on wet paint?
Oops! If your pet has done this on wet paint then unfortunately the surface will need to be resprayed if paw prints have been left behind.
With regards to removing the paint from your pet, dried on small spots and painted paws can be rubbed away with soapy warm water. If there’s a lot of paint, it may be necessary to bathe your pet, which probably won’t go down well but is necessary.
If you’re concerned about your pet, the paint we use is solvent-based. It is unpalatable to animals and can be washed away when wet with just water.
Solvent-based paint may be toxic to pets or dogs if ingested or on skin when wet. We’re not vets so we can’t offer advice if exposure has occurred. Call your vet for advice or an emergency vet out of hours. They may offer advice or want to see your pet immediately. Of course, these risks are nil and void if you keep your pets inside and don’t let them anywhere near wet paint in the first place.